Friday, February 10
|7:30 – 9:30 am | Period 7||Instructional Courses||
17. May the Force Be With You
Star Wars, Episode IV – A New Hope, 1977
Dr. Paul Dayton, DPM, MS, FACFAS (Moderator); Dr. John Steinberg, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Daniel Hatch, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Melissa Galli, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Byron Hutchinson, DPM, FACFAS
The latest in regenerative medicine will be presented along with why and when biologics are indicated for foot and ankle pathologies.
• Tissue substitutes for wounds, is this the first choice or last-ditch effort?
• PRP medical breakthrough or business creep?
• Mesenchymal stem cell grafts, so many more choices now – how to choose?
• Recombinant gene therapy, Is the body its best ally?
• Will Viscosupplementation ever have a role in the foot and ankle?
• The haters going to hate…
18. Go Ahead, Make My Day
Sudden Impact, 1983
Dr. Katherine Raspovic, DPM, FACFAS (Moderator); Dr. Javier LaFontaine, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Paul Kim, DPM, MS, FACFAS; Dr. Caitlin Zarick, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Katherine Dux, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Steven Farley, MD; Dr. Larry Lavery, DPM, MPH, FACFAS
This session combines both lecture and case presentations for the most up to date information on limb salvage.
• What’s new in biologics for DFU?
• How much flow do you need to heal that wound?
• Amputation level; how much energy expenditure will my patient need?
• Tendon transfers in DM PT, do they work?
• Prophylactic Sx for the DM foot; when is prime time?
• Ex fix for soft tissue offloading; do they work?
• Role of local flaps for DM foot ulcers; when do they work?
• Interesting cases from panelists and discussion
19. PICA Session
Ross Taubman, DPM (Moderator); Gene M Pascarella DPM, FACFAS, MBA; Michael R. Lowe, Esq.
20. Here’s Looking at You, Kid
Dr. Mitzi Williams, DPM, FACFAS (Moderator); Dr. Bradley Lamm, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Matthew Dobbs, MD, FACS; Dr. Amber Shane, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Scott Kaiser, MD
Expert faculty will share the most up to date information regarding pediatric pathologies ranging from clubfoot to fractures.
• Clubfoot: The Ponseti approach and recurrences
• Tibialis anterior tendon transfer: which recurrences benefit?
• Brachymetatarsia correction
• The accessory navicular – simply just a bump removal?
• Transitional ankle fractures
|9:30 – 10:00 am||Break||Expo Break|
|10:00 am – 12:00 pm | Period 8||Instructional Courses||
21. Latest in Rearfoot Surgery
Dr. Thomas Chang, DPM, FACFAS (Moderator); Dr. Bradley Lamm, DPM, FACFAS
Dr. Ryan Scott, DPM, FACFAS (Moderator); Dr. Christopher Reeves, DPM, MS, FACFAS
22. Latest in Ankle Surgery
Dr. Matthew Sorensen, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Christopher Hyer, DPM, MS, FACFAS
23. Latest in High-Risk Foot and Ankle Surgery
Dr. Jacob Wynes, DPM, MS, FACFAS (Moderator); Dr. Andrew Meyr, DPM, FACFAS
24. Latest in Forefoot Surgery
12:00 – 1:00 pm
||Event|| ACFAS Honors and Awards Ceremony
Congratulate your colleagues who win Manuscript, Poster, Honor, and Merit Awards. New Fellows will be presented their College keys and the 2023-2024 Board of Directors will be introduced.
12:00 – 2:00 pm
||Break||Lunch in the Exhibit Hall|
1:00 – 2:00 pm
||Event||Poster Grand Rounds|
|2:00 – 3:30 pm | Period 9||Educational Programs||25. You Can’t Handle the Truth!
Dr. Randy Clements, DPM, FACFAS (Moderator); Dr. Shane Hollawell, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Hiro Shibuya, DPM, MS, FACFAS; Dr. William DeCarbo, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Keith Jacobson. DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Jonathan Sharpe, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Mark Hofbauer, DPM, FACFAS
A Few Good Men, 1992
Lectures will be followed by a high-level debate amongst experts on Lisfranc and other midfoot trauma.
• Lesser metatarsal fractures, do they really need surgery?
• Is plantar plate better than IM screw for jones fracture?
• Literature review: Lisfranc ORIF vs fusion
• Moderator case presentation for panel debate
27. Say Hello to My Little Friend
Dr. Larry Rubin, DPM, FACFAS (Moderator); Dr. Adam Fleischer, DPM, MPH, FACFAS; Dr. Kris DiNucci, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Jim McWilliam; Dr. Luke Ciccinelli, DPM, FACFAS
Expert faculty will address a variety of difficult forefoot pathologies. • Failed HT implant, is pinning the only revision option?
• Management of flail toe, is syndactylization the gold standard?
• 2nd MTP arthritis – implant the only option?
• Sesamoidectomy – benign or malignant?
• MIS hammertoe repair – really possible?
28. You Had Me at Hello
Jerry Maguire, 1996
Dr. Thanh Dinh, DPM, FACFAS (Moderator); Dr. Michelle Butterworth, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Sean Grambart, DPM, FACFAs; Dr. Ross Taubman, DPM, FACFAS
Get an update on the ever-changing medicolegal landscape as it relates to social media posts, insurance and documentation.
• Now what? I’ve been subpoenaed…
• Documentation and how much should I say?
• Social media precautions: can my posts be used against me?
• Disability insurance: what it really means
|3:30 – 4:00 pm||Break||Expo Break|
|4:00 – 6:00 pm | Period 10||Educational Programs||29. A Total Genius
Independence Day, 1996
Dr. Jonathan Sharpe, DPM, FACFAS (Moderator); Dr. Benjamin Overley, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. James Cottom, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Shannon Rush, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Jason DeVries, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Stephen Brigido, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Christopher Hyer, DPM,MS, FACFAS; Dr. Hodges Davis, DPM
Top surgeons will answer specific questions often encountered when performing total ankle arthroplasty.
• Can we predict periprosthetic fractures?
• When to stage a progressive collapsing flatfoot in TAA?
• Is there a varus correction threshold?
• When and how to treat hypertrophic ossification?
• What are your intra-operative pearls for preventing infection?
• How to diagnose and treat peri-prosthetic joint infection?
• Is total talus an option in failed talar components?
30. Elementary, My Dear Watson
The Return of Sherlock Holmes, 1929
Dr. John Steinberg, DPM, FACFAS (Moderator); Dr. John Steinberg, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Andrew Vardanian, MD; Dr. David Rosenberg, DPM; Dr. Larry Lavery, DPM, MPH, FACFAS
Various tips and decision-making pearls will be demonstrated by expert faculty for situations often requiring Plastics.
• When to call your plastic surgeon – case examples
• Tips and pearls for STSG; what’s the success in lower extremity?
• I have a deep wound, what can biologics do for me?
• NPWT installation, is it worth the effort?
31. The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of
The Maltese Falcon, 1941
Dr. Ryan Scott, DPM, FACFAS (Moderator); Dr. Graham Hamilton, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Meagan Jennings, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Tye Liu, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Michael Gentile, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Jason Miller, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Donald Buddecke, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Justin Fleming, DPM, FACFAS
This session contains both lectures to address various Arthroscopic techniques and a debate amongst experienced surgeons on whether AAORIF is necessary.
• Is endoscopy superior to open treatment for FHL/Os trigonum pathology?
• Do not make the same arthroscopic mistakes
• Techniques and applications of midfoot arthroscopy
• Are the benefits of arthroscopic STJ fusion worth the hassle?
• Debate: AAORIF – can I accomplish the same thing during ORIF?
32. Well, Nobody’s Perfect
Some Like It Hot, 1959
Dr. Javier LaFontaine, DPM, FACFAS (Moderator); Dr. Noman Siddiqui, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Byron Hutchinson, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Katherine Raspovic, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Patrick Burns, DPM, FACFAS
Expert faculty will present their stance debating whether certain techniques are superior to others for Charcot treatment.
• Midfoot Charcot, why I think MIS is superior
• Midfoot Charcot, why I think open is superior
• Ankle Charcot, when a 3D printed truss is superior
• Ankle Charcot, when a femoral head allograft is superior
• Diagnostic dilemma, is this infected or just in the inflammatory stage? What’s in my toolbox?
• Active Charcot, do we wait too long to operate?
|2:00 – 6:00 pm | Period 11||Workshops||
33. Lapidus Workshop
Dr. Christopher Lotufo, DPM, FACFAS (Workshop Chair); Dr. Kyle Fiala, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Cristian Neagu, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Joseph Park, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Richard Derner, DPM, FACFAS
Additional fee required.
34. MSK Ultrasound Workshop
Dr. Katherine Dux, DPM, FACFAS (Workshop Chair); Dr. Aksone Nouvong, DPM, FACFAS; Dr. Albert Song, MD; Dr. Anup Alexander, MD; Laura Guido, RDMS, RVT, RMSK
Additional fee required.